Friday, November 2, 2012


E1.
                My favorite holiday is Christmas. Most people who say that Christmas is their favorite holiday say that they like the extra time they get to spend with their family and how Christmas represents the brotherhood of man. Both of these statements are true, but it’s not really why most people prefer it over other holidays. I think people just say that to sound unselfish. Think about it, the main themes of most holidays are more or less the same; be good to other people, be thankful for your family and be thankful for what you have. They just have different histories behind them. So why is Christmas a consistent favorite among Americans? The real reason behind people’s love for Christmas is the gifts they receive. This at least holds true for most people. To be fair, there are some people who genuinely love the feeling of togetherness and practice good will toward all men, and that’s great. However, Christmas is my favorite holiday because of the free material happiness. Don’t get me wrong, I love my family, but I love them a lot more when I get that new video game I’ve been waiting all year for. The best part of Christmas is waking up to a stack of presents under the tree. I also enjoy Christmas dinner. I like Christmas dinner more than any other dinner in the year. Every year we go to my grandparent’s house at about five o’clock. When we get there we normally sit around, talk and wait for my uncle to arrive, who is always an hour late. Once everyone is there we sit down to eat. Our Christmas dinner consists of prime rib, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and pie. After dinner it is time to open more presents. My grandparents always give great presents. That is why Christmas is my favorite holiday.

1 comment: