Sunday, April 21, 2013


O3.
                The other day, I watched Django Unchained for the first time. I have to say, it was one of the best new movies I’ve seen in a while. I chose to watch it because it is a Quentin Tarantino movie, and I am a fan of his movies. Some of my favorite movies that were directed by him are Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds .
                Django Unchained is a Spaghetti Western about a freed slave who teams up with a German bounty hunter to save his enslaved wife from an awful plantation. The movie is set in the south in 1858. The two men find themselves in Texas, Tennessee, and Mississippi, taking lives at each stop.
                My favorite part of the movie was the scene where a local mob chased after the protagonists for killing three white plantation workers. This was a five minute scene in which the members of the mob laid down the ground rules before capturing them. What started as a simple speech given by the leader turned into a huge argument amongst the whole mob, regarding the size of the eyeholes on the white bags they wore over their heads. I thought it was funny because of what they said, and because they wasted at least five minutes arguing over something so stupid when they should have been chasing Django and Dr. Schultz (the German bounty hunter). I’m also a bit curious about that scene. For some reason, Jonah Hill was one of the men in the mob. He got about four lines all together and didn’t play a significant role in the movie. He was just kind of there for no reason. I thought it was weird. Anyway, I liked this scene because it brought a little bit of light to a rather dark movie.
                I’m glad I invested 2 hours and 45 minutes into watching this movie. It took the classic western and gave it a more modern spin (and more violence). That is why I will forever be a fan of Django Unchained

No comments:

Post a Comment