Sunday, April 21, 2013


O1.
I got this article from www.cnn.com. It is called ‘Ortiz of Boston Red Sox tosses F- word, FCC doesn’t complain’. This article is about a pregame speech given to the fans watching the Red Sox- Royals game by David Ortiz, just days after the explosions. Ortiz was quoted as saying, "We want to thank you Mayor Menino, Governor Patrick, the whole police department, for the great job that they did this past week. This is our f***ing city. And nobody's going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong”. Normally, the FCC would be all over this incident, issuing fines. However, the chairman of the FCC, Julius Genachowski, decided that, given the circumstances, to let this one go.
                Personally, I think that it is extremely cool that David Ortiz was able to drop the F- bomb on national television. I would pay a lot of money for that opportunity. Also, I am very glad that the FCC did not decide to fine him for his colorful language. I found his speech to be totally appropriate and actually quite inspiring. What happened at the Boston Marathon was a horrible tragedy that shocked everybody. If his use that kind of language gave reassurance to the people who were affected by this, then that is fine. I think sometimes people (and the FCC) are too squeamish when it comes to vulgarity. This is why I’m glad they stretched their rules and allowed his use of the F-word to pass without any trouble.
On a related note: I just want to say that because of the events of this past week, I have a whole new respect for Boston and the people who inhabit it. With that said, I am not now, nor was I ever a fan of the Boston Red Sox or the Patriots. 

No comments:

Post a Comment