Wednesday, March 20, 2013

N3.
                Now that we are getting closer and closer to spring, the weather is getting nicer out. Well, at least it should be getting nicer out. Seriously, it is snowing out more near the end of March than it has all winter. What’s up with that? Anyway, now is about the time that I usually start to work. I guess I don’t technically have a job because I am not employed “on the books” at a place of business. I work with my dad on roofs for money. During the school year I work on the weekends, and during the summer I do it whenever my dad needs me to. On the days that I have to work, my brother and I are woken up and about 7 o’clock in the morning. The first thing we do is help him load equipment onto his truck. Then we meet up with every else who we work with and go to the house that we will be working on. My first job of the day is to help them tear off the old roof. This is my favorite part of the job. To tear off the whole roof takes about two hours, depending on the size of it. Once that is done, I climb down and start to carry up materials. These items include rolls of felt, bundles of shingles, bundles of starters, nails, etc. After that I have to start cleaning up the old shingles. It’s the easiest job in the world. It involves filling an old garbage can or wheelbarrow and either dragging or wheeling it into the dumpster. Although it is easy, it is the absolute worst part. First of all it takes forever. There are little pieces that get everywhere; in their plants, trees, and it’s my job to pick it all up. Second, there’s always debris falling from the sky and landing right where I have to work. Sometimes that falling debris hits me, and instead of apologizing the guys on the roof laugh at me. Even though we are probably breaking safety and child labor laws, it is a very good job and I enjoy doing it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment